PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attention BA staff and shareholders
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2004, 20:21
Connex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same sh*t – different (BA) day.

NM163 -,

Really hit the spot with that one. I loved the last line “in case you don’t hear it too often, Thanks”

Wait whilst I get another tissue, sob sob. That’s where I went wrong! I obviously forgot to say “thanks” last year when I spent 3 days waiting in a f*****g tent for a flight from T4, due to the swipe card issue.

Christn –

A good post with sensible points – problem is you are wasting your time. Reading this entire thread is just like reading the NATS thread on their recent pay issue. You, like our well meaning souls within NATS, have to accept that you are seeing the “business side” of human nature – its all “me me me me me”. Doesn’t matter what the rights and wrongs of the issues are – when money is concerned it’s everybody for themselves, whether they choose to declare or deny it on this forum or not. All this talk about Company loyalty, and “lets all work together” crap is wasted on a workforce that can’t see past the next pay packet. It’s been the same sh*t at BA for as long as I care to remember – only the faces have changed.

As a BA shareholder from the initial share issue, and now, through choice, ex-BA SLF, I am appalled at the continuous, apparent wastefulness and unnecessary financial extravagance of this Company, combined with apathetic Staff and pathetic Management. I have given up wondering whether my investment or the Company is doing well – I only keep the shares to hand on to my kids for posterity. “You know, son, this used to be a good Airline once, but…”.

I know many people who work for BA across the board, and not one of them has a good word to say for it, except that they get Staff Travel. They all have stories about how fed up they are, how the Management is crap, who’s on the fiddle, who’s running a business whilst they’re on the sick, who gets extra payments for this, that and everything else, etc etc. There’s never anything positive – why do you stay? Money, that’s why.

I do believe that the pilots earn their cash – it is a skilled profession. I don’t believe for one minute that CSDs or any other CC are worth anything remotely like a pilot’s wage, or £67k, a figure being bandied about on the other BA pay thread. There are just as many people outside of BA who have been taught to save a life, sell you a bottle of perfume, or serve you a meal, but they don’t get £67k. I’d rather see nurses get £67k than CC – that’s real value for money.

BA went down the toilet when it was privatised. The bane of privatisation – the selfish element - became paramount in every facet of the Company and its Staff. The Staff started arguing the day the initial share price was announced (it’s too much!), and how many shares the Staff would receive (not enough!), and it has snowballed since then.

To all you BA Staff out there – it is truly sad that things have degenerated to today’s levels, but your past reputation as “The World’s Favourite Airline” is nothing more than a memory. Be thankful that, for now, you have a job to go to. If push comes to shove, you will never save yourselves by combined effort – you are all too departmentally self-centred for that. It’ll be “All for One, and, er…..All for One!”

Remember though, if the Company finally goes tits up, the Cabin Crew (preference will be given to those with clean nails!) will be in a stronger position for the vacancies at McDonald’s – “is that the McBeefburger or the McChicken Sandwich, sir?” And don’t forget to smile – you’ll be getting £4.80 per hour!