PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problems with PPRuNe Mail (aka proonmail)
Old 28th Mar 2004, 20:14
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for the delay in getting back but I've only just read this post.

PPRuNe Mail has nothing to do with the new server or anything else with PPRuNe except the name. There are nearly 19,000 @pilot.pprune.com email addresses in use. A few seem to have problems but the majority just get on with things or else are incative.

The Spilot.pprune.com email service is handled by a company called Everyone.Net and all we are doing is letting them set up email addresses using a subdomain of pprune.com. Unfortunately, pprune.com was attacked by spammers a long time a go and a few people seem to still have problems with it.

As the email service is handled by Everyone.Net I have no control over it and cannot do anything except reserve, create or delete email accounts.

I suggest that if you are having a problem with the service you either contact Everyone.Net or better still, tell me the account name, I can delete it and you can create a new email address for use in your profile.

If you do create a new email address using the @pilot.pprune.com facilty then you shouldn't receive any spam unless the address is used in some other service and that has been attacked. Of course, if your email address is in someone elses address book and they have been infected with a virus then it is only a matter of time before you get hit again. At the moment there is a surge in spam and virus email dong the rounds. I get at least 50 - 100 a day in my own email. Using a POP account I can log intot he account before I download email and delete everything that looks like spam or a virus. It is fairly easy to see these days.

PPRuNe Mail was set up for people to use if they wanted to. There are no guarantees and Everyone.Net make their money by offering upgraded email accounts with Spam detection etc. I think the upgraded accounts are also POP accounts and therefore accessible using other meial services such as Mail2Web or your own email client.

Hope that helps.