PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing accuses Airbus of dumping
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2004, 05:07
swh

Eidolon

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
TIMMEEEE,

I see this as a ploy from Boeing to get more US DOD equipment purchases, who said "empty ships make the most noise'.

The SQ 59x777 for 17x340 deals could be thought of as dumping also. What you did not mention is that the SQ 340s had a custom entertainment system installed which I was lead to believe was 8t additional weight above a standard aircraft, reduced range, reduced payload.

The early 340s were a dog, most people from what I have understood have elected to do engine upgrades, and same could be said for QF with the 744's, they have always been performing worse than the 743's.

The 340/330 is not the same class of a/c as the 777, fairer to compare it to a 764.

Feel free to compare the 777 to the 345/346. That’s what SQ did when it ordered the 345 over the 773 recently. SQ is now operating 3 out of the 5 345's it ordered.

According to
Beoing no airline has ordered a 777 this year, last time SQ ordered a 777 was 1998. Airbus had two 345 orders in Jan & Feb.

The real fact or the matter is Boeing is killing itself by not having commonality between types, I see QF going with the 345 shortly as the 330 crews and sim can be used on the 345 for a fraction of the cost of getting a 773-ER into the system. 330->340 CCQ takes a few days, the sim, unclip the throttle quadrant, clip in the 4 throttle quadrant, and unclip the fire bottles and replace it with the 5 button one, very simple, take a few minutes at most.

With sims costing US$20 mil plus, its not an insignificant expense when considering a new type.

QF have a lot a very very smart people involved in the aircraft selection process, the 777 has been considered, but people with better knowledge than me and you have decided its not the best ship for QF, AT THIS STAGE.

Interestingly South African Airlines who are also geographically remote have not gone with the 777 also.