PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG 'launch pad for terror attack'
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2004, 03:38
Sharpie

Retired Tiger pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taildragger me ol' china!

The facts are that CAA could not/did not provide adequate security at Jacksons with pixie forced into assuming the duties to protect their own and QF interests. The cost has been borne by pixie with little chance of recompense.

In 2003, Ausaid provided funding for four new baggage scanners plus wtmd units. After advertising the security contract, a finalist was selected to commence duties 1 November 2003. I believe that the contractor has yet to assume full responsibilities at Jacksons even after nearly 5 months and pixie is still handling the bulk of the work.

I think that if you get the real story on the latest debacle, you may find that VIP's went direct from the VIP lounge to the aircraft and did not pass through the 'sterile' departure lounge. But there is absolutely no excuse for someone not conducting a physical inspection of carry-on hand baggage. Did the 'big-man' principle scare them off?

The required duties are covered in CAA Security Manuals as well as new CAR's and it will be interesting to see if the person is charged aas a result of the incident that breached PNG CAR's.