PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Cfit
Thread: Helicopter Cfit
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2004, 01:18
peter manktelow

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ZEBEDEE….loved your controlled flight into THINGS. That sums it up for we Rotorheads. We fly into many things , not just terrrain. Thanks for the URL’s to OGP and CAA.

Thanks MARS. I used AVADS years ago in Brunei and it does address ONE facet of the CFIT problem. I suspect it would be a lot cheaper than EGPWS but from what Nick is saying , that all important forward looking information is absent.

Nick...thanks. Any idea of the unit cost of EGPWS ?

Thanks HEEDM
What I am looking for is discussion and that is what is happening. I am a bit remote out here , having no access to a crewroom of pilots views or a big company with a Directors of Flight Operations/Chief Pilot digging into such issues as CFIT.

We should all be mindful that this written form of communication is sometimes not as good as verbal face to face. It does not allow that twinkle in the eye or tone of voice that can add a whole different meaning to a remark…..so if I appear to slip , please forgive.

I have tasked myself with setting up a CFIT mini ground school for a group of young pilots we have here. These lads are extremely gifted , very capable IFR offshore copilots…..the best I have ever flown with. The tragedy is that we have one rig at
55 nm and are averaging just 3-4 trips a week. They are accumulating their career’s experience in an agonizingly slow way. I wish to hell I could place them in a situation where they were doing a 100 hours a month. They would lap it up. Anyhow this CFIT project will educate me as well as them and hopefully provide a bit of a diversion from sitting around.

keep the comments rolling in...and again ...thanks