PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Snow place for an airstrip
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2004, 13:12
Thirty06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know if the French regulations concerning the use of altisurfaces for microlights are similar to those for aeroplanes ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>Microlights can use altiports and altisurfaces without restriction, >and without the pilot requiring training. Quite different than for >aeroplanes.

Different indeed ! Possibly it's easier to judge the nature of a landing surface from a microlight than it is from a regular aeroplane ?

>The French microlight and mountain pilots associations are >working together to agree recommended training for microlight >pilots. The training won't be mandatory, but in my view it is >indispensable when using places like Tignes. There's not a lot of >room for error....

Tignes probably has more room for error than some of the other places available. Gusty crosswinds can spring up and if there are trees dotted about with a ridge in front of you it must be quite different from most landing areas. I don't think I'd fancy an EFATO from that location since there's not a lot of spare space at the bottom, could you glide as far as the lake ? Probably not.

Mind you. In Altissimus picked a week with some of the OKest CAVOK I've seen in a long while, gentle breezes and all round nice stuff.

60€ for 35 mins looks about the same rate as you'd pay for dual control in the UK at some of the microlighting schools I've looked into.

>That is about the going rate (£80ph) for a trial flight in the UK, >so considering its the cost of 6 pints in Tignes, it was a bargain

Sheesh! where where you drinking ?