PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hillwalking to wrecks
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2004, 11:27
Genghis the Engineer

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Hillwalking to wrecks

This is I freely confess a half thought-out idea at the moment, but I'd be interested in anybody else's thoughts.

A little while ago I bought myself a copy of a small book called "high ground wrecks and relics". Subtitled "Aircraft hulks on the mountains of the UK and Ireland". It shows where there are aircraft wrecks "up in thar hills" thoughout the UK. Unsurprisingly most of the ones marked as having anything much left, are miles from anywhere in the middle of (or on top of!) some very bleak country.

It just happens that one of my several non-aviation hobbies is hillwalking, and has been for 20 years or so. I'm not a great one personally for trying to ascend huge hills just because they are there, but do like finding something interesting to do up there - for the last couple of years it's mostly been stone, iron and bronze age settlements.

So, my question to the house, is anybody interested in sometime this year maybe doing a weekend of hillwalking with a view to taking a look at some of these wrecks.

I should say that so far as I'm concerned there are two obvious issues that need to be clear from the outset. Firstly, people died in many of these wrecks, and one should act with an appropriate degree of respect in all dealings with them. Secondly, the terrain and conditions on any such trip are in all likelihood going to be severe and challenging; and I don't think this is a sensible prospect for anybody who is not an experienced hillwalker or climber capable of looking after themselves on a mountainside for several days if they need to.

All thoughts welcomed.

G