PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - crosswind autoland 737
View Single Post
Old 27th Mar 2004, 10:35
wing737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alexban,
During the last 4 years I flew for some African Airline companies as my company wet leases the planes during the low season.I've spent a lot of time around Sahara desert and central Africa and during this time I've seen a lot of sand storms(try to walk around the airplane during blowing sand and youll be surprised when you find sand even in your underwear in the evening)

I can agree with you with the low visibilty that the blowing sand brings associated with high winds but a CAT III in those airports,hardly I must say.Most of the airports around the desert doesn't even have ILS installed(been to places where you are the one of 4 airplanes landing daily)Mostly in sand storm conditions if its forcasted we delayed,if not -more than one occasions- we had to divert to another place because visibilty is over the limits.

Another interesting point to consider about CAT III in sand storm is different from fog conditions, the direction of the wind must be associated with runway which is CAT III capable,I have never seen any airport in desert with all runways CAT III capable.As I said hardly equpped with ILS.
Once I have been in situation where we were bound to Tamanraset Airport(Algerie) in desert.This airport has ILS installed on one runway and VOR on the other side.The weather was blowing sand with low visibility (but within CAT I ıls limits) and the direction of the wind was coming directly opposite of the ILS equipped runway.So you can't do an ILS app. with way over your tailwind limits while you can't do a VOR app since the visibility and descent limits were out of VOR limits.

I think brain works associated with experience.So thats why actually I was refering CAT III in "fog" conditions.Which we generally do.

About the "experienced captains",you're true . I 've been in situations where I took the informations of capts (who acts like an Astronout near the young F/O's) as 100% correct and shockingly surprised how these "astronouts" can forget very crutial details after not reading books any more but flying with instincts and experience.

I didn't want to sound inpolite in my first post also but if you read your post one more time with your pilot jacket on you'll understand why I am surprised.I'll be glad to host you in İstanbul and the Fosters are on me