PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When you almost became... "Another Statistic"
Old 26th Mar 2004, 23:11
AndyGB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple from my training at Gillespie.

Firstly getting lost on one of my cross countrys and spending a lot of time circling what I think is the right lake but am not sure, before reversing course to find my last checkpoint (a big tarmac runway with the name on it so easy to find thank god) and then heading back in across the moutains.

Having spent almost an hour trying to fix my location, by this time it was getting very late and and I was flying into the setting sun, the marine layer had come in and the valleys were filled with fog so I couldn't really see any ground features. Got to about 5 miles out and really started to worry that I was going to fly into a hill as I was decending into the fog/mist to keep under the Socal airspace and wasn't 50% sure of my position let alone 100%. Thankfully I swallowed my pride and called up the tower who gave my a vector and after a minute I managed to see the lights of 27R off my right wing and was able to carry out a normal 3 mile approach all be it in a very murky twilight.

It was only when I was on the ground again that I realised I still had my sunglasses on which obviously hadn't helped

The second was getting my procedures wrong during a go around and forgetting to take of the drag flap, wondering why I wasn't gaining speed or climbing despite having full power. My instructor had noticed but was waiting for me to solve it myself when we hit a bit of turbulence at about 100ft agl and the left wing dropped. He reached for the flap lever to take the drag off, I think he is reaching for the controls so let go of the yoke and shout "you have control", so for the time it takes him to change the direction of his arm from flap to yoke we are flying at just above stall speed, 100ft above the ground, in slight turbulence, with no one on the controls. I'm not quite sure who was more scared me or him, but I still managed to go solo later that day and I never forget the flap now.