PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ pilots under political pressure (merged)
Old 25th Mar 2004, 23:40
highcirrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockhound

Not too sure that my style is one of ad nauseam rant – I certainly don’t feel that I’m consumed by rabid polemic whenever I’m calmly setting my thoughts down. In fact I feel my style is more of amused contempt for the almost daily machinations displayed in Asia’s very own Truman Show. However, I’ll now spend a little more time reviewing my words before posting!

In terms of managing the SIA jugernought, Dr Cheong, or indeed any other appointed cipher merely has to steer the ship, “steady as she goes”, until in receipt of course changes telegraphed down from You-Know-Who on the bridge and, as we all know, disregard all human considerations in running the business which methodology has, to date, been the basis of Standing Orders for many years. This feature, rather than Cheong’s managerial competence, coupled with magnificent finance from owners Temasek Holdings (prop. Lee dynasty), a monopoly of all Singapore route licences/bi-laterals/fifth freedoms, draconian labor laws and a very smart marketing operation has ensured financial success for the airline over the years.

As a corollary, I was perhaps being unfair to Cheong for castigating his multi-billion dollar errors of judgment, as the acquisition decisions were clearly not his but were of course made, again, by You-Know-Who and which decisions once more dispel the notion of omnipotent infallibility.

CDRW

Absolutely spot on!

Last edited by highcirrus; 26th Mar 2004 at 02:20.