PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - En Route Speed Control
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2004, 19:46
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good thread, VL and 5mb, and let's hope we can all learn from it! Again I hope that we all try to do what you ask. From my perspective, BA 737, cruise M/IAS varies as above with all those things, plus the wind - a strong head programmes the FMC to fly faster and conversely. Cabin service can affect cruise speed on short sectors too, but we do (I hope) TRY to let you know early and they ARE subordinate to your requests.

Personally I prefer early speed adjustment to vectors (unless they are towards LGW ) The point of transition from Mach to IAS is almost impossible to pin down. Information on the one ahead/behind? Yes please - we can then see the 'big picture' (even if we have no hooks to hang it on ). TCAS has been a significant help in the last few years.

Speed limit enquiries abound because it is far from unusual for them to be 'lifted', so we ask to check. We ARE, I hope, intelligent enough to know that when it is busy it is pointless, although I have been 'surprised' by our excellent LGW approachers nipping us in quickly in a busy spell when they see a gap. If they upset/irritate you, I'm afraid I cannot see what can be done about it.

Bring on those famils!