PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nigerian expat f/o's
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2004, 19:11
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expat F/Os?

Just sticking to the question of whether one can resonably hope for a job in Nigeria (the only place I know anything about) as an expatriate F/O then the answer has to be NO. This is because there are plenty of fully-qualified Nigerian pilots who are out of work.

From that one could go on to ask if these local pilots are any good at all, but what would be the point?

I myself once experienced the German LuftfahrtBehinderungsAmt flipping the doormat over to the side that read GO AWAY. They seemed to have some mandate to preserve Jobs For the Boys. I felt a bit bitter about this for various reasons but I did just go away, back to the only place I had some contacts... Nigeria. Go figure.

I have flown with local pilots who were pretty clearly much better than I (and much better qualified as well) and I have flown with others who must have got their licenses off the backs of cereal boxes, but I could say the same about Europeans and about some of my fellow Americans too. So?

There's not much point to banging on a closed door; go find someplace they actually want to hire you, is my advice. That's how I ended up back in the White Man's Grave. Call me 'just lucky' I guess!