PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice: RAF Pilot
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2004, 17:11
Brain Potter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The notion that graduates get to Flt Lt quicker has to be taken in context. Compare a school-leaver joining at 18 with one of the same age, who goes straight to university for a 3 year degree course. They will make Flt Lt at the same time but the DE will already be on the front line with the graduate still in trg. It is perfectly understandable that the DE Fg Offs on Sqns feel aggrieved that they are paid less than the graduates who came out of the same OCU course. However, their real graduate peers are blokes of the same age, who are still miles behind in the trg system. The DE has the last laugh when a fellow school-leaver graduate finally gets to the Sqn on which he is now the QWI.

As for advice - Go to University if there are still things you want to achieve/prove in the academic arena. You will end up with a broader education that way. Don't go if it's purely for the pissups, you will end up in debt. Anyway there are plenty of parties on the Sqn (in Las Vegas rather than the Students Union).

Ultimately, if Fast Jet flying is your burning ambition, do it now. Don't worry about having a degree "to fall back on". If you fail and aren't offered (or don't want) another job you can always leave and then go to University. You'll still be young enough to have fun and will probably do better as you'll appreciate (and need) the degree itself, rather than just going on the piss. You could even try the Air Force again after you graduate (it's been done). If this idea grabs you, don't fall into the trap of getting a huge car loan and then not being able to afford to turn down other trades if chopped.

Whatever you do, don't be tempted by taking a gap year or doing a 4 year degree. They are simply wasting years that you could have been flying. Your options for the RAF start to evaporate after the age of 22, although the other services offer helo flying for those a bit older.

In summary;

A bloke came up to me the other day and said - "Can you give me a lift?"

So I said - "Sure; you look great; the world's your oyster; go for it!"

With thanks to Tommy C