PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spare engine carriage on a twin
View Single Post
Old 25th Mar 2004, 16:56
av8boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one of those big Russian cargo thingys
I find this interesting because the Trent is what Volga-Dnepr is moving with an AN124. In one application for an emergency exemption to the US Sec of Transportation they show the Trent 800 as "26.41 feet long x 12.67 feet wide x 13.167 feet high." In another, "The engine measures 317 inches L x 152 inches W x 157 inches H, with the weight of approximately 25,856 pounds, with support equipment..." (by my math, not EXACTLY the same size, but pretty darned close).

In applying, Volga provides notice to US carriers capable of carrying outsized cargo, and for the most part, there is never a issue. (So long as it IS outsized cargo. They did hit some resistance when they moved a lot of smaller items which really didn't require a single, large airframe...) In other words, if a domestic carrier wanted to chime in and say, "we can do that," Volga might have some trouble getting the contract.

So, I'm not quibbling about the accuracy of LME's observation that the Trent is transportable via 74F. Just wondering, if this IS the case, why is AAL using Volga instead of a domestic 74F? (Yes, I'm clear on the fact that there might not be 74F airframes available when needed, and I'm certainly not trying to stir up any crap regarding the use of foreign/domestic carriers. It's just that I can see a couple of 74Fs from where I sit right now that only get occasional use and I wonder what the deal is).

Dave