PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue and Virgin Atlantic to BOTH open SYD base 2005
Old 25th Mar 2004, 03:21
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Word has it the crew won't be doing just SYD-HKG-SYD...it's my understanding this will form part of a wider assault by VS to include SYD-LAX to make them a true round the world airline!

Makes perfect sense, and since Australian crew traditionally cost more than their UK or US counterparts (our Agreements are among the best in the world - believe me, I've seen the pay differences!), VS would do well to get more 'bang for their buck' from any of their crew in overseas bases.

But be prepared people...don't lose your heads. VS pay their crew a base salary somewhere in the region of £9,500 - converted to AUS$ that equates to $23,400! Qantas Long Haul base salary here, as well as at Australian, is about $35,000 plus allowances. Give or take a thousand.

Remember the drama that was Lauda Air when they opened up a SYD base here (since closed, as I'm aware). $AU23,000 per year plus allowances of $AU60 per night - whereever they stayed (and that INCLUDED Vienna - where a cup of coffee (after conversion), could end up costing you $AU10).

I hope I'm wrong, and I don't want to dampen spirits - but spirits don't pay the rent people. Let's all quietly observe this one with reserved caution.