PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A-310 and A-300-600 pilots. I need some help.
Old 25th Mar 2004, 02:39
wagtail23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbus Info Screens

Lu

Have to be careful here as it depends upon which aircraft you are talking about.

The original aircraft were fitted with a 3 station flight deck, ie they carried an engineer. But the later models, and I flew an A300-600, had Electronic Centralised Aircraft Monitoring (ECAM) which consists of 2 screens, one above the other, on the pilots display panel just forward of the throttles.

The top screen shows Engine/Warning Displays (engine primary indications, FLAP/SLAT POSITION, and warning/caution messages)

The lower one is the Systems Display which shows pages, either automatically (which depends on the phase of flight) or by selecting the system you want to see on a push-button panel.

In the scenario you describe having an uncommanded flat/slat movement (which I have never heard of so would like to hear your story) the first thing would be an indication of the flaps/slats movement on the E/WD followed by a message stating that there is a flap/slat fault and there would be an attention getter sound also.

This would trigger the ECAM to show the faulty system on the SD and what actions are required to rectify the fault on the E/WD.

The aircraft has slat/flap brakes which might stop this from occuring, but I am not sure.

As I no longer fly the A300-600 I cannot look into the company manuals to see what the corrective action is or if the shutting off of two hydraulic systems is even recommended. This is because the inadvertant deployment of flaps is a Caution, but a double hydraulic failure (turning off 2 systems) is a lot more serious, depending on the stage of flight, altitude, etc,etc....

Hope that helps.

As far as embedded CBs on approach, you should try to avoid them as there are many documented accidents to prove their effects. During the planning stage, a careful look at the weather forcast should give and indication of what to expect. If there is any mention of fog, CBs etc it is prudent to carry extra fuel for the flight, and hold off until the approach is clear or a diversion is made. That depends upon the flight crew's experience and many other factors which will need more discussion than I can manage this morning.

Like to read the book when complete.

Good luck

wag