PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How long did it take you to complete your PPL?
Old 24th Mar 2004, 19:20
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FNG

I get the joke, of course.

The reason I frequently write, in a forthright manner, about the decrepit state of UK GA, is because I feel flying is a great privilege, and I can very clearly see it is going to disappear, well within what I hope to be my flying lifetime (say 20-30 yrs to go). My kids will have to go elsewhere to do this.

That much is clear to most outsiders who look at the way it's going (yes, I do know many of them) and who spend 5 minutes looking at the financial and social picture. The huge traditionalist population in GA merely accelerates the process. But, as I've said, farm strip operations will probably always survive.

Today I went up to 7000ft for an hour or two, among truly spectacular scenery (and a little ice) and came back to an airport which is great but whose running costs cannot possibly be met by the resident fleet and where there are about 5x more schools than one needs for the students. But you could build say 1000 houses on it, at £250k each.

Incidentally, nothing wrong with VFR flight. The time I have a go at spamcans with decrepit avionics is when somebody has a go at the IMC Rating (which is another great privilege). Or pretends they can navigate on dead reckoning in 3km vis. Or...