PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A contender for the best ever news headline?
Old 24th Mar 2004, 17:06
peterbuckstolemymeds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A contender for the best ever news headline?

Posted without comment for obvious reasons...

South Wales Evening Post

FAT MAN IN AIR RAGE SEAT ROW SLAP ATTACK

LEON WATSON

14:00 - 24 March 2004

An obese Swansea man slapped a fellow passenger in a trans-Atlantic air rage attack triggered by reclining seats, it has been alleged. Scottish tourist Jerry Hall was travelling economy class on BA flight 2226 from Atlanta to Gatwick when he claims he was suddenly smacked by an overweight man from Swansea.

The man, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, became enraged without warning when Mr Hall reclined his seat 90 minutes before the end of the flight.

"The flight was utterly unremarkable until around 90 minutes from touchdown," said Mr Hall.

"I was reading and listening to music with headphones when the guy behind me - without any preamble or warning - slapped me on the side of the head with his open hand.

"Needless to say, having had no contact with him whatsoever until that point, I was astonished."

The 54-year-old man, who claimed to be suffering from cancer, then allegedly launched a volley of verbal abuse at Mr Hall - despite having reclined his own seat.

"By the time I had the headphones off and was turned round to face him, he was mouthing off about how I was a rude, ignorant person for having my seat reclined," said Mr Hall.

"I think you could say that we had a 'fair and frank exchange of views' during which I told him never to lay hands on me again.

"I also pointed out that I hadn't designed the aircraft's seating arrangements and that he was free to recline his own seat if he had space problems.

"He said that he would never recline his seat to a fellow passenger and that I 'didn't have a clue'.

Mr Hall then called a flight attendant who told his attacker that Mr Hall could recline his seat as far he wanted.

"She also pointed out, when he protested that he wouldn't ever show such discourtesy to a fellow passenger, that his seat was in fact partly reclined," said Mr Hall.

When the flight finally arrived at Gatwick in the early hours of March 10 police boarded the plane at the request of the pilot and arrested the man for common assault.

But Mr Hall decided not to press charges and the man - who was travelling with his wife - was released.

"The guy was evidently under the delusion that although one could recline one's seat, it was totally out of order actually to do so," said Mr Hall.

"He was without doubt the most ignorant and unenlightened person I have ever encountered on an aircraft."

"The fact that he assumed I was American and treated me to a short lecture which began, 'Here in Britain, pal, we treat each other with courtesy . . .' added a note of utter farce to the entire situation.

"I am Scottish and have lived in the States for only three years."