PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ahhhh Austerrrrrrrrrr (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2004, 14:00
Vick Van Guard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I have been spreading some duff gen about these tailwheels

I have just checked my doc's and my Auster had a new spring and tailwheel (non-steerable) from the well known purveyor of Auster spares near Newark three years ago, unfortunately I don't have the receipt. Don't no where I got the idea from that it was £600, I think its old age setting in!

Right the Scott type comes to fit 1-3/4 spring as standard, if your Auster is fitted with another size you will need to buy an adapter. The cheapest I have seen the tailwheel assy for is $800, with another $75 for the adapter if required.

Finally, the Maule type as supplied from that well-known light aircraft spares supplier in the West Country, comes in two types. The first one is fitted with a 8'' pneumatic wheel, OK if you have a Husky, and the second one is fitted with a 6-1/2 solid tyre which I would say would be the right one for J/1's and J/5's and the like. It comes complete with the connector springs. You can get them to fit either 1-1/4'' or 1-1/2'' spring. They are all just over £200 plus VAT, which I think is pretty good.