PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice: RAF Pilot
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2004, 13:48
Feneris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Start rant..............

You don't 'just go' DE, or join any of the services as a pilot or as an officer. You apply to attend a selection process where the selection officers will consider your potential to be a pilot and also as your potential to be an officer. Assuming you pass the interview, medical, tasks, leadership/leaderless exercise, then IOT (around 25% get back coursed and 5% never make it through), and then 6 months EFT, you will get to 'fast jet Friday'. Which ever route you then take, it will involve years of concentration on training. By the time you get front line you will be doing a sh!t load more than just flying an aeroplane. It is a complete lifestyle committment including a whole load of ups and downs.

End rant.........

If you really want it, and understand what your potential future role involves, then apply for it. DE or not......???

Uni is great and you would be older/more mature by the time you get to holiday camp crabwell and would have finished EFT as well. You'll have the fun before starting the mature and hard work of commissioned services life.

DE ....... it's better to start flying training as young as possible and you could be years ahead in training when those who went to uni joined. I imagine a lot hangs on wether the crabs get the Eurofighter, and how many they get. I'd rather be further down the training pipeline before significant job cuts come in and recruitment numbers fall off.

In any case, if you don't ask you won't get. I'd be tempted to apply as soon as possible and take heed of whatever advice or offers may turn up at OASC. Good luck ahead. F