PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice: RAF Pilot
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2004, 20:02
fastflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Advice: RAF Pilot

Just wondering if anyone can bring me up to speed with a few things re raf pilots:

I am often hearing on PPRuNe about extremely lengthy holds at Linton, people being offered ground branches on “fast jet Friday” etc.
I’m new to the game, but how common are these holds and are people chopped as often as it seems on this forum? I really do have a burning desire to become a pilot - I won’t let these things put me off the slightest - but I am interested all the same…is it just that the bad news simply comes here for advice, or is it quite an overriding issue about the training system being so full.

Related to this, I am seriously considering going DE but with talk of chops etc, would you advise going in after uni with a degree to fall back on? (I know this has been discussed in the past).
If it is true that the RAF is recruiting a lot fewer pilots and these numbers are only getting smaller, is it a good idea to snap up an offer of DE if I’m offered it?
I want FJ like nothing else, and would work infinitely hard to get there, but I’m interested in people’s opinions all the same…
Again, either way I won’t be put off, I just think it is common sense to help your situation by having a degree if possible/sensible/beneficial.

Thanks for your help in advance,