PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Very Slim Chance for guys like me
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2004, 16:24
Flying Farmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good decision Robert one less oldie for me to be up against

My rose coloured specs came off a long time ago, here's the reality for me, now aged 42. No job after 2 years, although I count myself lucky to have instructed last summer and fortunate to now fly occasionally as a safety pilot. My income has been poor for 3 years now and our house is on the market again. Luckily my wife is a godsend and is still with me, it was a joint decision for me to retrain after redundancy from our family business (thanks Dad).

I think things may be improving on the job front, but after lengthy discussion with many here on Pprune and elsewhere, I feel a jet job in your late 30's is remote with low hours, mine are just around the 750 mark. For instance out of the 2 to 300 hundred CVs sent out in the past I have managed to secure 1 interview with a Turboprop company. Both the flying jobs secured so far were a case of the right place at the right time.

Maybe not what the older guys want to hear!! Just pointing out the realities. Its a struggle, finance and emotionally, but one that I will overcome and gain full time employment flying something.

Please think very carefully before you go down this road, it takes no prisoners.

Flying Farmer

Last edited by Flying Farmer; 23rd Mar 2004 at 16:57.