PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you pilot's feel about the no-cockpit-rule?
Old 23rd Mar 2004, 01:50
reverserunlocked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a humble PPL-er, I miss visiting the flightdeck. I always found that crews on long hauls were almost without exception happy to talk shop with a fellow aviator, even if like me they'd only punted around in a PA28.

In years of travelling, I only had one flight where I visited the F/D and didn't feel welcome. It was on a KLM 767 to Beriut and the moment I stepped in there I could smell the tension. I tried to ask a few intelligent questions but to no avail. My queries as to the finer points of 767 ops were rebuffed with one word answers.
I was rather relieved a short time later when we reached TOD and the Captain asked me to go back to my seat.

But to all the others over the years, from the guys on a BA 767 into Abu Dhabi who allowed me my first J/S landing, to the crew of a BMed A320 who got me up on the J/S for take-off from LHR and then made a point of making sure I got the best seat in the house for a night time Beirut arrival. And finally to the blokes in a Virgin 744 who not only let me sit with them for about two hours in the cruise, but invited me to stay up top for a spectacular arrival at Newark in the middle of thunderstorm, lightning and all!

To those guys and those like you, let me speak for all of us in the junior aviation club and thank you for the wonderful memories that we'll never forget, and strengthened our resolve that the next time we see those sights will be when we're in the driver's seat!