PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde Fever
Thread: Concorde Fever
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2004, 08:32
Jhieminga

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Although displaying a Concorde this way is quite a dramatic view, and does portray the magic of its shape and achievements just a bit better than sticking it on a barge does, I do wonder what the future will hold for this aircraft. The fact that it is stuck up on a roof does also mean that access to the airframe is next to impossible. In about 10 years time corrosion may have set in and without proper access it will not be spotted, and cannot be treated. Also I'm very curious about the ability of the gear of some of these aircraft to cope with being displayed like this. Just look at that L-39, anybody willing to guess how much stress the gear is designed to take in a a rearwards direction? Braking force will have been taken into account, but that is for short periods, doesn't involve the nose gear and is quite different from having an entire airframe hanging from it.

In the case of Concorde they probably fixed the gear legs to eliminate having to recharge the shock absorbers, but this means that any force (wind must be a factor!) is now directly transferred to the main structure, without any damping. Coupled with the non-normal loading direction (although less so than in the case of the L-39) I wouldn't be surprised to see cracking in a few years time.

Oh, and I really think they should've lowered the nose on Concorde. If this poise is meant to portray a landing or take-off attitude then at least put the nose in the right configuration.

Futhermore Brooklands should spend money clearing up what they have got in particular the VC 10 and the VC9. When I visisted in September both a/c were in very poor external condition.

I found the mix of car and plane and whole visit a hotch potch lacking direction and dedicated to the aircraft volunteers and the rich / famous members of the motor club.
With regards to the external condition of the VC10 and Vanguard, this is regrettably unavoidable with these aircraft being outside. A lot of work is put into these aircraft each year to keep corrosion and other issues under control, the fact that there is a bit of dirt on the outside is a small price to pay if the aircraft is at least structurally sound. A nice clean and shiny aircraft may look nice, but if the inside is rotting away the goal of preservation is not met! The museum does aim to get these aircraft inside in the future, but would need a large cash injection to achieve this. Perhaps the Concorde project could get this ball rolling.

Indeed the museum is a strange mixture at times, and it may look as though the cars are getting more attention than the aircraft, but let this not deceive you! The car collection has benefitted from some grants at times, and this shows. But remember that to get an aircraft to a similar state requires a lot more money, and that is without considering the fact that it is parked outside. Cars can be restored by individuals in their garages, but I cannot see someone doing this with a VC10. The museum is doing admirably considering the fact that is fully supported by volunteers and donations.

Just my two cents.