PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 rating and employment
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2004, 21:22
Pilot Pete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm puzzled by the comment from a turboprop operator regarding someone with a 737 type rating disappearing if offered a 737 job. Surely they would be bonded on their turboprop rating anyway?
Well, here is my thought on the matter;

Say the turbo-prop outfit bond you for £10k over 2 years pro-rata. Say they pay you £20k pa. Say you keep applying for that 737 position as you start to build airline, 2 crew, turbo time. Say after 6 months you get a job offer for direct entry F/O paying say £30k. That means you can leave the turbo job, pay the bond and start ammassing jet time with roughly the same take home wage in year one...........the future benefits are obvious.

I know which one most people would opt for.........

PP

ps figures just made up for example, they will vary greatly from one job to another, but even if you are going to actually lose money in the first year or so the fact that you are now gaining jet time, the future earnings potential, seniority list position (assuming they have one), command possibilities etc etc may well still be enough to sway you into taking the jet position and leaving your new turbo-prop operator looking for another pilot.