PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 rating and employment
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2004, 01:14
The Southend King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I met some of the Bond/astraeus people at the simulator recently. I think there are about 16 going through this month, which is the highest number so far, so the talk of 20 a month is false. I'm puzzled by the comment from a turboprop operator regarding someone with a 737 type rating disappearing if offered a 737 job. Surely they would be bonded on their turboprop rating anyway?

I believe some of the ex Bond guys are in easyjet, Globespan, helios, and the new operator in Bratislava as well as the guys who were kept on by Astraeus. Theres also a big group with EXCEL through the Global/Bond scheme. I also met a couple of Icelandic guys who were paying for their type rating and hoping to work with Astraeus on their Keflavik operation for Iceland Express. I know theres a problem with easyJet because of a contract EZY have with CTC for their own TRSS, and with Ryanair because of the kickback they get from GECAT and others for providing the type rating to paying students, but a few have slipped under the net.

I suppose the other way to ask this question is " How many FATPL with less than 500 hours have secured an airline job over the past year without paying someone for a type rating"? That might give some idea as to what the market is doing. I was lucky enough to have had a rating paid for as an upgrade from a Turboprop job to a jet job , just before my employer went bust.

Strange thing is...this is hardly a new phenomenon. I have some friends who bought themselves type ratings from British Midland in the late 80's /early 90's. Some of them are now TRE's with various big airlines in the UK, particularly with the meteoric growth in the Low Cost sector.

Fouga Magister makes a very good point in This Stapleford thread (about half way down page two) about the options available today. Horses for courses I suppose.