PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The PFA
Thread: The PFA
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2004, 18:50
cubflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some pilots who are PFA members might not be great on the radio, but then again neither are a lot of Club pilots. The difference that I see though, is most PFA pilots can sort themselves out without being told what to do on the radio, whereas a numbe of club pilots cant seem to cope.

I go to a lot of PFA fly-ins and cant remember many at airfields with ATC. So I'm not sure of where the original poster on this subject was thinking of. Ludwig suggested a fly-in at an airfield with full ATC and turn away those who arent great on the radio! Interesting. Last fly-in I went to where there was full ATC was so bad because ATC couldnt cope with the arrival rate of aircraft and there werent that many! So if you want an interesting fly-in dont go to somewhere with full ATC.

As for the infringements of Lyneham during the PFA rally. You will find that most of the identified aircraft were either foreign visitors, or club aircraft. So probably not many PFA members there. The one aircraft that got investigated further by the CAA was a PA-28 from somewhere up north, Teeside I think. He made an approach to Lyneham, only went around after flares were fired at him. Then flew through the South Cernay parachute drop zone before making an approach at Aston Down. He did eventually find Kemble!

Watching the rally arrivals and being involved in the brieifings for departures, we see that there are the odd idiots in PFA aircraft, but by far the majority who do stupid things like orbits on final or dont follow the procedures are in factory built club/private aircraft, of course they could be PFA members too, but maybe not. Most of the people who dont understand the departure procedures seem to be factory built aircraft pilots. Similary are the pilots who call up for joining instructions, having not read the AIC!! Including a Citation on a company flight one day at Cranfield!

Someone commented about not attracting people because of no airshow. This is not the case, in previous years when there has been an airshow, the numbers have not been any different, the airshow has not attracted any extra visitors. Most people who come, are there to see the vast array of aircraft flying in, meet up with their friends, look at the exhibits, rather than being at just another airshow.

Anyway, the good news is that despite a few rumours to the contrary, the PFA rally is definitly on this year. This has been confirmed by Steve Petter, the Rally Chairman following a PFA Executive Comittee meeting last night.
Exhibitor bookings are picking up and two major sponsors have signed up.

So see you all at Europe's best aviation event at Kemble 9,10,11 July.