PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The PFA
Thread: The PFA
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2004, 17:58
Flyin'Dutch'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not have the accounts to hand and so have not got a clue how the financial make up of the association is divided over the various activities.

It is obviously tempting to say that the Rally needs to be self funding and if not that it should be axed but that would miss the point completely.

For an association like the PFA to work well one needs to have some joint up thinking and in that I would see a very clear role for the Rally even if it was to be a loss leader.

The number two spectator sport after football in this country is air shows. What does the Rally not have anymore? An air show! Why? Part of the reason IIRC was that it would interfere with the arrival and departure of visitors. The result may well be that a lot of enthusiasts will shun away rather than come, pay and support the event.

One of the main functions of the PFA is to support the permit aircraft and home building. For this there is an extensive network of inspectors and the technical support unit at HQs. The cost of this network and the support from the professionals is extremely inexpensive to the permit holders and it is my impression that a lot of people within the association think that this is the holy grail.

The desire to keep these costs low is noble but may well be artificial. For this it would be interesting to see what fraction of the outlay of the aircraft one pays now for permit issue and renewal compared to say 30 years ago.

The cost of the average homebuilt with the arrival of the new stuff (both kits and modern materials) has soared compared to the previous generations where people built from plans alone.

People are prepared to pay the premiums for that as it gives them the performance they are looking for. Surely a more up to date remuneration for the PFA from this angle would not be out of step.

I fear that if the Rally goes, the PFA will do itself a disservice on the PR front.

I joined the Association at the gates as it seemed good value to join, get a year's membership, 'free' admission, an interesting magazine, support the good cause and fuel my romantic notions that one day I may well build my own.

Reality dictates that the latter is unlikely to ever happen but every year I just get that value feeling reaffirmed and I suspect many 'non building' members with me.

FD