PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2004, 15:55
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
A friendly letter from my MP David Cameron today, attaching the following predictable and disappointing reply from Ingram:-

Thank you for your letter of 20 Feb quoting an e-mail from your constituent about the Chinook accident on the Mull of Kintyre in 1994.

I have no reason to believe that either of the Reviewing Officers (both of whom have now retired) have changed their opinion since they explained the reasoning behind their finding of neglgigence before the House of Lords Select Committee in 2002. Certainly, on the last occasion on which we contacted Sir John Day's office in respect of this subject (July 2003) there was no indication of a change of heart. The Ministry of Defence has always said that we would fully investigate any new evidence on this accident. However, no such evidence has been put forward and consequently there has been nothing to prompt either the Department or the Reveiwing Officers to remain anything other than convinced that the correct decision was reached.

I am sorry to send what I know will be a disappointing reply, but neither we, nor the Reviewing Officers, see any reason to overturn their original finding of Gross Negligence.

".....neither we, nor the Reviewing Officers, see any reason...". How very true.