PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firewall an NG - what do you get
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2004, 02:46
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
.. a few comments

(a) lomapaseo was pushing a sensible risk management line - the electronics in modern aircraft may not save the day every time (recent history indicates, quite clearly, that they don't - what's that you say ? our PCs have bugs as well in the software ?) but they can prevent the ham-fisted pilot from creating more problems than he/she might solve by being innovative. It is a question of maximising the probability of a satisfactory outcome .. no guarantees only consideration of risk minimisation and probabilities ....

(b) one poster suggested that he/she would prefer to clip the tree tops, overboost and climb away .. that's fine ... but the risk is that you might also overboost, lose it, and impact wingtip first .. which scenario do you prefer ? .. a controlled impact or blazing saddles cartwheeling ? I guess one might prefer the "die with his boots on" attitude .. but the problem is far more complex than one of the simple "I'll save us ... " philosophy.

(c) I note that Flight Detent was somewhat impolite in his/her response to lomapaseo. Please, good folk, can we keep posts in this forum focussed on the topic and leave the colour to other, more appropriate, forum threads. Here we play the ball ... not the man.

(d) if you predicate a takeoff on a derate configuration (as contrasted to reduced thrust) and then push up the levers, especially at low weights and speed schedules, you expose yourself to Vmcg/Vmca problems. If you haven't been there (and are not familiar with the VERY rapid onset of divergence with many aircraft) and are not trained to react appropriately rather than in panic ... I suggest that you consider not pushing the levers up other than VERY, VERY cautiously. Do keep in mind that it is not just a case of being near the published Vmcg/Vmca but that an increase in thrust may result in a considerable INCREASE in the realworld Vmcg/Vmca. It is a little disturbing to read what appears to be a gung-ho approach to this consideration in many of the posts in this thread ?

(e) Overrun's post makes for interesting reading ...

(f) the main concern, I suggest, is one of turbine temperature (and gearbox loads in the case of turboprops). Modern turbine blades are thermally critically loaded and, in cases of growth engines, don't necessarily have much fat for the pilot to play with ... you over temp such animals at your peril .. and the consequences may not be very long in following the overtemp incident. I am aware of one recent investigation where, with such an engine, an apparently innocuous overtemp did considerable crystalline damage to the blades ... and cost the operator a fistful of money to rectify.

(g) dehavillandriver ... please don't cite the source of confidential documents .. XYZ management might not appreciate your quoting from company confidential documents in a public forum without authority to do so .. if you must so quote, then please leave out the citation ...