PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monitoring 121.5 in Australia
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2004, 01:52
karrank

Mostly Harmless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit hard to prove that though IMABELL...

ISLANDER JOCK: I reckon that document is referring to broadcast services. In the NW we used to regularly hear Asian broadcasts, for hour after hour, on AGA frequencies. A sattelite trying to resolve a position between two radio stations banging saucepans and strangling cats (that's what it sounded like) has to be stopped. An occaisonal mayday or safety alert is not going to cause deaths.

Reading my previous post (without rum in my system) makes me think I could have been more succint. If Boyd thinks there is no increase in situational awareness by having as much of the traffic in a particular area on the same frequency on which they can be alerted to pertinent information, then feel free to monitor 121.5 only.

If you have two radios, having one monitoring 121.5 may provide a safety benefit for yourself, and save somebody else.

Driving people off the area frequency by being mysterious about what it is and how important it is is a nonsensical rear-guard action by Dick (IMHO) coz some committee wouldn't remove "monitor appropriate frequency" from what VFR are supposed to do.

THIS THREAD indicates at least some ATC (or other agencies) can or do monitor (or can transmit) on 121.5. Has anybody even proposed it here before?