PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A-310 and A-300-600 pilots. I need some help.
Old 20th Mar 2004, 00:21
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up A-310 and A-300-600 pilots. I need some help.

To: A-310 and A-300-600 pilots.

I am writing a book and I need some technical assistance / advice. The book deals with the hypothetical crashes of two different hypothetical airliners. One aircraft suffers from a runaway flap system ending up in the flaps tearing away from the wings resulting in a crash. The second aircraft loses a large section of the left wing due to a fuel tank explosion resulting from a lightning strike and loss of the aircraft.

Here are my questions and please forgive me if I use incorrect terminology. Any corrections will be appreciated.

1) The pilot gets an indication on the (XXXXXX) that his flaps are moving and there is no command from the command sensor unit. Remember, if the computer did not command movement it can not stop it. The pilot shuts off both the yellow and green system and then turns one system on and if there is movement he turns it off and turns the other system on. This will work but is there and alternative and or better way to stop the movement? Where is the fault-displayed (XXXXXX)?

2) Several pilots have written up that EMI is causing problems with their electronics and it is noticeable during radio transmissions. The mechanics have not been able to determine the source of this problem. Can this happen?

3) You are on final and between you and the intended landing airfield there is a small storm with imbedded lightning. There are two other airports in the area with possibly conflicting traffic. Would you penetrate the storm or would you elect to enter into a holding pattern waiting out the storm realizing that to do so might result in the loss of your spot at the terminal? Landing on an alternate runway is not an option.

I may come back with additional questions.

Thanks for your assistance.

Please respond by PM in order to minimize the material on the PPRuNe server.

Note - while I applaud Lu's concern for server dyspepsia, I am more concerned that the rest of us might miss out on some good gen. Feel free to post your answers to the thread as you see fit ... and I'll fly top cover against head office incoming ...

JT

Last edited by john_tullamarine; 20th Mar 2004 at 02:09.