PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Group Captain Stanislaw Wandzilak
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2004, 16:04
LXXIV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember Sqn Ldr Wandzilak, as he then was, arriving at Oakington from Full Sutton on promotion. It was about 1953, and he was appointed CO of 3 squadron. I use the small "s" in squadron, as there were three flying squadrons of Vampires at Oakington. He endeared himself to we airmen and NCOs by taking us into his confidence, asking us to let him or other QFI's know if we thought any of the students were unduly nervous before going off on their own.

An absolutely charming man, with little distance between him and the troops, he would conduct final handling tests himself, occupying the cockpit of the T11 for hours, staying put while the aircraft was being refuelled, debriefing one student and briefing the next before the next sortie. Oxygen rules notwithstanding, there were often cigarette ends stamped out on the cockpit floor at the end of the day. At the time the T11's had not yet had the bang seats fitted, so everything was so much simpler.

In common with most of the officers, he ran an old car. His car was a Y type Ford, about 1934/35 vintage, registration number CYO 447.

I realise that I have plumbed the depths of nerdishness with that last snippet, but felt that I had to share it with someone.