PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying old aeroplanes in the 21st C. [Now with Lecture Notes]
Old 19th Mar 2004, 15:40
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were treated to a first class talk by Dave Southwood at the RAeS last night. Dave not only knows his stuff, but has the gift of being able to put it over in a way which had everyone gripped from beginning to end.
I won't attempt a summary of what he said, partly because I wouldn't be able to do justice to it, but mainly because Dave has very kindly agreed to let me have his notes to post here for those who couldn't make it to the meeting. They won't be exactly the same as the lecture, but will contain all the important material. I'll post them when they arrive.

Good to see John Farley and PprunePop again, and to meet Treadigraph - he's a walking aviation encyclopaedia. (And not bad at chatting up women judging by his activities in the pub afterwards. )

Also a chance to chat with two people I've not seen for years:

The Chairman of the RAeS Test Pilots Group (which organised the event) turned out to be someone with whom I flew in the London UAS n years ago - when he had more hair and mine wasn't grey. After a distinguished RAF career, ETPS etc, Derek Reeh became a British Aerospace Test Pilot and is now Director of Flight Operations at BAE Systems. Derek flew protype Eurofighters during development and the maiden flight of the first British Typhoon series production aircraft in February 2003.

Many on this forum will know Carl Schofield who used to fly for the OFMC years ago, and now flies for the Fighter Collection. Carl's son (then in his early teens) often used to come along to shows with him. Now about two feet taller than when I last saw him, Jim Schofield was commissioned in the RAF after university, selected for fast jets, then Harriers and then to be a Test Pilot. He started at ETPS in January. How times move on!
I've no doubt at all it was the rides in the back of the Harvard which set Jim up for such success. That's a thought - I wonder if he can get me a ride in something interesting.

Tudor

PS:
I'll watch out for any other talks which might be of interest, and post details again.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 20th Mar 2004 at 08:59.