PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Home Networking
Thread: Home Networking
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2004, 14:48
FJJP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went through this exercise a few months ago. It's possible that your new machine will have a network card already installed. That will save you a bit of money. You'll have to buy a wireless router and a wireless card for your other machine.

Basically, you plug the telephone line into the router. That's your link with the net, and as far as your ISP is concerned, your only link with them. Now make a wired connection to the router from your main machine, and set up a wireless connection to the router from the other PC.

I use a D-Link 604+ router and wireless card. Your best bet is to find a friendly computer concern that knows what it's doing. I'm lucky to have a local Antechs shop, and the guy there is incredibly helpful. Look for a local small supplier, not necessarily a high st shop.

Incidentally, it's also useful if in future you buy a laptop - you also buy a wireless card for it (it will be different to the one you install in the PC) and you can surf away and access the drives of the other machines to your heart's content whilst sitting in the lounge with She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed. It kinda makes for more domestic harmony, if you know what I mean - not diappearing to the office for a few minutes that turn into hours!

It's also worth doing a search of this forum using 'wireless network' as the search parameter - there has been a fair amount of wireless discussion in the past 6 months. Note particularly the advice and links given by Richard from the Naples Air Centre - he has a comprehensive handle on the subject, and his links are especially informative.

Good luck, and remember, there is a wealth of experienced individuals, regular forum contributers, who can help you through any difficulties.

FJJP

Last edited by FJJP; 20th Mar 2004 at 08:10.