PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 Stones and wanting a PPL
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2004, 14:04
Pronto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The relevant section of the JAA medical FCL is at http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/435247.pdf . The bit that deals with BMI is para 3.179(e) on page 17 (of 46). The annex referred to in that paragraph is on page 40 (of 46).

In essence, people with a BMI of 35 or more (see caveat) may only be certified as fit if the excess weight is not likely to interfere with the safe exercise of the privileges of the licence. A satisfactory cardiovascular risk review must be undertaken. The caveat is that the JAA have not drawn the symbol particularly well and I may be misreading BMI of “over 35” for the (slightly) more restrictive “35 or more”.

The annex states that abnormal physique (including obesity) may require a flight test or a test in a simulator. Particular regard must be had to emergency procedures and evacuation.

I think it’s worth remembering that flying schools are businesses. If they turn a potential customer away, they must have good reasons for doing so. In this case it’ll be either because the aircraft which form their fleet are too small for Darul to get into, or they have safety issues.

I can think of two such issues, there may be more. Firstly, if a pilot can’t get out of an aircraft with ease, he or she puts himself and any passengers in the rear seats (who may need to use the pilots exit) at heightened risk. Even if the pilot (and passengers) is prepared to accept the risk, any incident on an aerodrome will necessitate the attendance of the RFFS who will be put at greater risk in trying to save a mobility impaired pilot. Remember, the RFFS have the risk imposed on them.

Secondly, Genghis mentions a risk of damage to the aircraft structure by very heavy occupants. Remember, the damage you’ve just caused may not be apparent now. The next guy to fly the aircraft may find out about it the hard way. Possibly the clubs/schools concerned are trying to exercise their duty of care towards their other customers.

Finally so far as Darul is concerned, I think that you have two hurdles. First in finding an aircraft that’s large enough to take you. By this I mean the doors open wide enough, the seats are wide enough and the aircraft is capable of safely lifting you, your instructor and sufficient fuel.

The second hurdle is to obtain a medical certificate.

The question of which you do first is a “chicken ‘n’ egg” question which only you can answer, based on what schools have told you when they refused your business.

Early in the thread somebody mentioned the TB9. My experience of TB’s is that the seats are no wider than a PA28’s and are less adjustable. (There’s no rake adjustment for the seatback alone, for example). Furthermore, while the cabin may be wider, there’s a centre console (which carries the throttle, mixture controls etc) that restricts space. Entry to the cockpit is by way of “gull wing” doors (hinged at the top). While they provide a generous gap, it’s no more generous than a Warriors door fully opened.

Finally I endorse the earlier view which says that you may have to accept that your size prevents you ever being a pilot. Flying is (quite rightly) something that requires a level of medical fitness, not only for your sake, but for those who may be affected by your actions. Regrettably, it may be that you’ll just have to accept that or will have to make the effort to loose the excess.

P