PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - keeping the flame burning
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2004, 13:24
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Devil 49 above, what I love about flying is that it is the ultimate left-brain/right-brain activity. It is very technical to be sure, but it also involves a certain amount of artistry to do well.

My father was a (military) helicopter pilot when I was born. One of my earliest memories is of him landing and getting out of a Hiller H-23 as my mom held me in her lap in the car. I must've been...what, three or four? I cannot remember a time when I did not want to be a helicopter pilot. For my thirteenth birthday I got a ride in a Hughes 300 and my fate was sealed.

Flash forward thirty-six years (20+ as a commercial helicopter pilot). I still get the biggest thrill out of pulling up on that lever next to my seat and seeing the earth smoothly drop away. Incomparable! Whether my passengers see it or not, there is always a smile on my face when I get the liftoff to a hover right. That is the yardstick by which I measure the rest of the flight. Yes, we are our own harshest critics (although you will meet some instructors and check airmen who might feel differently).

I've never consciously thought to myself, "Gee, I'm glad I stuck with this." For me, there was never any other choice.

The bottom line is that you cannot define, quantify or explain magic. It's either there or it's not. If it is, enjoy the ride! If not, that's okay too.