PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Landings
Thread: A320 Landings
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2004, 11:45
FLY BY WIRE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's most important to remember the three basic rules for a successful landing in an A320, but unfortunately nobody knows what they are.
I'm guessing, but your experience so far, viewing your profile, would have been on light aircraft (i apologise if i'm wrong), so you may not have come accross the pitch-power effect with powerful engines with thrust vectors below the centre of gravity.
In your Cessna the landing technique is to chop the power then pull and keep pulling till you are close to the stall as you touch down.
If you do this in an A320 it results in a FIRM landing (i know i've tried!)
My advice would be to check the rate of decent very slightly at about 50 feet (so your not leaving it all to the last moment), and begin the flare proper at a height you judge to be correct usually 20-30 feet, then and only then pull the thrust levers back, and keep flying the aircraft onto the ground. If you chop the thrust before the flare the pitch up effect from the engines is rapidly lost, the nose wants to drop, the aircraft slows quickly, and basically falls out of the sky.
Having said all this, listen to the training captain.
I'm guessing again, but as you mention A320 (not A319) Manchester, and i guess your CTC, i suspect i'll be seeing you on the line.
Good luck on the base training, try and enjoy it, if it's your first BIG aircraft, it's something you'll never forget.
FBY