PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Time
Thread: Time
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2004, 11:35
jau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time

Hi All,
I'm putting together a plan for my future flight training, and came very quickly to the conclusion that the two most important factors are time and money! Well, it doesn't take much thinking to work out that if you have a job, you have the money but not the time, and if you have no job, you have the time but not the money. So:
I am getting my PPL this summer during my summer break from Uni and will hour build through the course, when the budget allows. After graduating, I may take a job at a supermarket for a year and use the money to pay for my ATPL's. I figure that even though the wages are poor they are sufficient for the exams and it means that I don't have to pay my student loan off (< £10000 pa). I can then concentrate on getting a higher paid job in my degree related field. (I'm not sure how I'm going to explain the years job at a supermarket to the interview board yet).

I know that a MECR can be gained in spare time, but what about a CPL and IR? Do the courses require full time study? The course are about 50 hours each are they not? Will I be able to fit them around a 9-5 mon-fri job or will I have to devote full time study to it? I won't be able to take four weeks holiday in one go from work so doing it all then is not an option. So how did you guys all do your CPL/IR?
The MCC/CRM I know is a full time course, but it can be fitted into a two week 'holiday' from work. Then of course there may be the need for an FI rating etc. It seems to me that the main problem is not money, but the time off work to do the training itself.

Thanks for your help.
Jau