PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - keeping the flame burning
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2004, 10:08
ground effect

keeping the flame burning

Hello all my first posting,

So here I am almost like the five year old ready for the first day at school but instead of a new school bag full of books I am grasping an old wallet full of money for all my training (as well as moths ).

As gleened from this forum the road to roatary wing nirvana (aka - a job that pays a `living wage`) is long, steep and slippery and litterd with bodies once overflowing with hope.(but no doubt still filled with passion)

I have been involved in two other industries thus far in my 29years and both are also filled with people who have tales of employment woe and horror. And we all know of those jobs/professions that pay very well but leave you hollow at the end of the working week knowing that next week will be exactly the same, without challenge or adventure (like the job I am doing right now).

There must be 10000 reasons for me NOT to embark on this career path but I still want to....so tell my why?

So the challenge to you my fellow rotor heads is explain the MAGIC. Yes! Verbalise just what it is about this industry/career/vocation that makes us all so driven and passionate. Is it slinging loads in the jungles of PNG, captaining a twin enroute to a platform of the east coast of Alaska, dropping skiers into inches of fresh powder in the NZ Southern Alps or knowing you probably just saved a childs life as you land atop a city hospital.

Can you define these two moments

1. When you first thought flying these things for a living is for me - how old were you, what type of machine was it, how did it make you feel and why?

2. When you finally started to get some `runs on the board` was there a moment when you thought `I am so glad I stuck with this` - what were you doing, what country were you in, what were you flying, how did it make you feel, do you get the same excitement when you take the controls today?

Come on folks think back to THAT moment when the flame was lit, I would love to hear about it.