PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Home Networking
Thread: Home Networking
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2004, 10:03
BALIX
I'm Just A Lawnmower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Networking

The BALIX houshold is about to come alive to the patter of tiny bytes again. In April we become a two PC houshold and I'm already bracing myself for sleepless nights caused by teething problems and the like.

It is my intention to network the new arrival to my trusty two year old so that they can share the single printer and, more importantly, the internet connection. Now, I know that there is the choice of wired and wireless networking and that you need a gizmo for each computer and a thingumybob in the middle but beyond that I'm left looking at the shelves of PC World with a vaguely confused expression on my face.

So, can anyone help? Here's something to go on. The old PC has a 1.7GHz processor, the new on will have 2.8 of those lovely gigahertz. Both will be running Windows XP Home edition. They will be situated in upstairs bedrooms separated by a couple of Wimpey (ie, thin) plasterboard walls. Going through the walls with a wire is not an option as said wire would decapitate anyone going down the stairs and though I could go up and over I'm not too keen on drilling any holes in the celing. In other words, I'd prefer the wireless option unless it is either crap or prohibitively expensive.

My ISP is Freeserve Broadband and a quick look at their website suggests that they don't like the idea of networking a single connection. However, I'd rather change than pay the bugas twice.

Any other clues and hints would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.