PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sep02 Hamilton Is accident ATSB report
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2004, 10:13
Disco Stu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, the examining toxicologist stated that, due to the possibility for post-mortem production of alcohol, that result should be interpreted with caution.

I have NO medical training but I do have a memory.

Prior to PNG Independance (1975!) TAA amongst others operated domestic flights in the then TPNG. A TAA Twin Otter crashed in inaccessable bush (I think between Hagen and Goroka) and it was some days before a ground party reached the aircraft. During the post mortem of the crew, alcohol was detected. To cut a long story short, the crews family's and the AFAP sought further tests, ultimately proving for the first time I believe, how to detect the difference between induced alcohol and that produced when blood sugar ferments (in a body).

As with all accident reports, one should read the ENTIRE report and not try to precis it. This is of course where those members of the press fall flat on their faces when they try to fill 30 seconds on the 6 o'clock news.

Read this report again, you will find a number of clarifications regarding the alcohol matter, including 'suspect' or damaged blood samples.

Disco Stu