PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A319/A320/A321 Pilot? Suggestions for ECAM Modification
Old 18th Mar 2004, 03:43
leftseatview

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PFD speed tape needs to be inverted

Hi,
i have always felt that the Speed tape on the PFD(Primary Flt Display) needs to be turned around on its head.
the low speeds on top and hi speeds at the bottom.
That is more in "correct sense" with the side stick demand and its result on aircraft speed(when autothrust is out of the active range....as is invariably the case in a Go-around)
i strongly suspect this to be the final link in the chain of events that led to the "Gulf Air" A320 accident into Bahrain in 2000.
Having the hi speed on top of the tape results in the
red VMO/MMO warnings coming down from the top as the a/c approches an overspeed situation.
Following a 2 engine go-around if the a/c is not rotated up to the correct go-around attitude,an overspeed situation can develop very rapidly indeed.
in a low experience/high stress scenerio, the "gut-reaction" to the loud audio warning and red tape on top,might well be to push the stick further forward.(away from the red)
Infact that is exactly how we fly in response to a TCAS RA on the Vertical Speed tape.
The last 9 seconds on the ill fated Gulf Air DFDR record a positve forward push on the Capts sidestick.
It is my firm beleif that had the spedd tape been the other way around this accident would not have taken place.
Having the lowspeed warnings on top also makes perfect sense to me as a former glider pilot---push the stick forward to get out of a lowenergy situation.

We definatly have a long way to go towards improving Flt Deck Display and Control design
All the best in your efforts

P.S. i am an A320 Capt with a total of about 5000hrs on type