PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot blamed for fatal crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2004, 22:12
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

It is a liitle difficult to draw any real conclusion from that information, I would suggest, prospector, as different pilots log I/F time in different ways ie. some pilots might log an ILS (or other instrument approach) when in fact it was flown in 8/8 blue sky with complete outside visual reference, whilst others will log then when flown solely by reference to instruments.
Similarly, the logging of Instrument Flight time is at the individual pilot's discretion (although the definition is clear).

To illustrate my point, the same paragraph (1.5.8) states in the 3rd sentence, "In the same period he had logged 3.15 hours of night flying, which was not also logged as instrument time".
By definition, some pilots DO log night flight as Instrument Flight time - obviously this guy did not.
(As an aside, it is the practice with some Americans and many Mexicans, to log ALL flight time above 10,000' as IF!!)

So I think you may be indicating that, by some standards, there may have been a lack of recency - however it is also likely that this pilot did not record in his log book, every visual ILS approach as such.

Night landings, using radio aids to assist - especially where slope guidance is provided - are not, imo, as significant for I.R. pilots, as they are for VFR only pilots, who rely solely on the MK1 eyeball.