PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulators...
Thread: Simulators...
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2004, 14:11
Empty Cruise

ECON cruise, LR cruise...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, in these trying times of terroism, I think it most unlikely that any SIM manufacturer would sell a sim to anyone else than a TRTO/FTO But give enough hard work etc. etc. - it might be done.

3) Most are touch-screen-operated. You may have a flash-card or a disk to load WX scenario, position, set-up etc. so you do not have to enter it all over again every time you have to do that particular session.

4) FlightSafety is a major manufacturer, as is CAE. Boeing has a simulator sub-division called Alteon, but I do not know if they make or just operate simulators

5) Same instruments, however with glass cockpits, the difference becomes less important.

6) Depending on how many hours you buy, you may dry lease a sim from 300-450 EUR/hr. Probably means operating cost is somewhere near 180-280 EUR/hr. - your guess as good as mine. But these prices are based on simulatioon centres operating up to 15 simulators at a time, so some of the cost is spread over many sims. Would probably cost 15-20% more to operate a sole example.

If they go U/S often? Same as your car - depens on age! Some exhibit strange behaviour and bizarre errors - but it can be cured with a (time-consuming) re-set. And as all machines, they need both scheduled & unschduled maintenance.

8) High-grade projectors are used, some capable of 200 deg. coverage from a single source. It is commercially available, but probably not in your local Hi-Fi shop.

9) Depends on your processor, video card & RAM, screen size etc. - but it is not THAT far off the mark. Quality og e.g. runway texture when lokking 100m ahead is close, but close-up, simulation of WX phenomena and mapped airports, the difference starts to show.

...eeeerrrr - I think....

Brgds
Empty