PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulators...
Thread: Simulators...
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2004, 13:03
Winkiepinkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Simulators...

Not quite sure where to post this. Right, here we go.

I was reading about people building their own cockpits for flight sims and my mind jumped into overdrive. I’ve got a few questions that hopefully a that those in the know maybe able to help with. I know there is a Trident simulator down near Gatwick, are there any others available to the general public (isn’t there an ex-RAF F-4 simulator up north somewhere?).

And now for the questions:

1. I know the real simulators are sometimes more expensive that the actual planes, but does anyone know actually know how much they cost (say the 757 quality used by BA down at Cranebank. Or is it Waterside?)

2. I know pilots always go on about how well the actual aircraft behaviour is replicated in the sim, but what sort of hardware & software is responsible for all these complicated calculations? I’m guessing it isn’t the latest PC hardware.

3. How are different situations programmed (landing, emergencies etc) in a sim ride, how does the operator interact with the hardware/software of the simulator? Is it a windows type program (Microsoft God forbid?), or are they programmes written but the simulator builders themselves and need a PhD to operate?

4. Who make the simulators? Do Boeing make the 737 simulator for example?

5. Are the instruments within the simulator the same instruments as used on the real aircraft, just motorised, or am I way off the mark?

6. How much does it cost to operate these things (per hour say), do they go U/S frequently?

7. If you were that way inclined, and had enough money, could a member of the general public buy one?

8. Are special projectors used for projecting the image, or is it stuff that is commercially available?

9. Is it true that Microsoft 2004 is getting close to the image quality of real simulators these days?

10. What about military simulators, can the public get hold of old (or new, albeit dumbed down) such devices, or is that just silly?

Just wondering. Thanks for any replies.

W