PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doing It Your Own Way (Self-Funded)
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2004, 11:17
Big_Mach

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Doing It Your Own Way (Self-Funded)

I'm 24, have 80 hours experience (UAS) but haven't flown for 18m. I've managed to save £18k & want to go down the ATPL route

I presume my first stop is a PPL – with a bit of hour building, IMC & night I should get up to the 150h mark for around £5k?. I then have the modular option available, but...

...how does a modular course work? Are you tied to one company or can you chop & change for different parts of the syllabus (e.g. go flying for part of it in, say, USA)? Can you request to fly only on certain days or at certain hours? And what about groundschool?

Otherwise, there are companies claiming to sponsor you (e.g. CTC / Malagus ) but you pay them £60k+ - are there others? (Britannia and FlyBe don’t seem to be active at the moment).

An integrated course looks like it will cost £50k+ or a modular approach about £30k+ - do these prices sound about right? At the end of that I will have a fATPL but the general consensus seems to be pay more money to get a line rating (£15k+?)

So, without igniting the modular vs integrated debate, it seems to me the best option is to go modular and do line training costing about the same as a 'sponsorship' scheme; you have expereince on type but not a job at the end. Is that a fair assessment?

The companies that seem to get most frequently mentioned are OATS and CabAir based at Cranfield or Bournemouth. Is this just because they are the biggest or are there other companies out there – please link to them (for example I’ve just come across Stapleford)

Finally could someone tell me about CTC ATP scheme?

Much appreciated