PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - About turboprops
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2004, 08:33
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive a Jetstream 32 which is proberly considered on the bottom of the pile. But I am very happy with it for a first type rating. It dosn't have anything fancy in it and about 50% of 32's don't have autopilots in them so its manual all the way. Handling is actually better in the none autopilot fitted aircraft. The auto pilot servos stiffen up the controls making them feel heavy compared to the manual aircraft.

The performance of the aircraft is shall we say quite good fun when everything is working. And also due to the props, relative light weight it is very forgiving to pilot cock ups in height and speed management. And if requested you can shoot a ILS down to 5 DME at 220 knts and still be stabilised at 500ft for landing winds dependent of course. Flying the thing is very similar to a MEP apart from you have loads more power to play (2020 SHP) with and the engine managment of the garrets is simple compared to a piston. There is a computer to help out with EGT limits and conditioning the temprature so the indictated temp is easy to set. This computer is about the most high tech thing on the plane ( apart from the torque rudder couple thing which i think is a damn good bit of eng design )and also causes most hassels but its not a problem operating with it US. Its also fitted with a prop sync which i haven't bother to turn on now for about a month. Its ****e and my ear does just as good a job as it does and my ear dosn't scare the pax as much when the whole lot goes for a wander.

Landing a 32 can be a bit interesting. They are not very forgiving and any miss judgment will end up with a carrier landing. But give the Old girl her due she is built like a tank so what feels like a slammer is considered a normal Jetstream landing by those in the know.

Is this what you want to hear about?

MJ

PS the metro must be the worst looking TP of the lot. Looks like a tampon with wings.