PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US Presidential Helicopter Bid (and Result)
Old 17th Mar 2004, 04:50
Straight Up Again

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
46Driver

I did read your post, I was just wondering why having 2 variants, with the different tail sections would be so difficult, after all the areas either side would be identical from a maintenance, spares and training point of view. Even the pilot training shouldn't be too different, I can't think of many extras, except to teach them about the ramp as well.

Nick

I didn't realise the height difference was so great between the 92 and the 101 (4.71m for 92, and 5.2m for 101). Just out of interest, how high is the floor above ground level? I know if you stroll out of the side of a 101 you'll get something broken (from memory it's about a metre up, even has a little fold out step at the cargo door).

I suppose there are a few people who think the president is too important to go around shutting engines off. I'm not an engines expert, but what would be the problems with leaving the 3rd engine at idle? I'm sure there should be some, but my engines knowledge isn't that extensive (I am but a simple flight test engineer).

I do have a soft spot for the 101 (ex-Wastelander, approx 190 hrs on EH-101s, most variants), but don't think the extra cabin space will win it the contract, I think the running costs will win out, along with the slightly more modern aircraft and the 92 will get the contract, and people will cry foul about the “buy American” stuff, wether it is true or not.

Unfortunately I have never seen the 92 in the flesh, any chance of a tour of Oz?

Edited 'cos I got the 101 height wrong (used tip of TR not main rotor beanie).

Last edited by Straight Up Again; 18th Mar 2004 at 01:58.