PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot blamed for fatal crash
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2004, 02:09
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

In my first post, prospector, I was suggesting that icing may have been one of several contributory factors that caused this accident - your attention span being obviously somewhat limited, you apparently didn't read through to my closing paragraph.."For the time being I would like to leave you all with these facts as presented."

From prospector
...although not perfect the LLZ tracking was not the problem,
And from the official report 2.33
The radartrack plot showed a somewhat erratic track of ZK-NCA....The erratic and oscillatory nature of the track itself, while probably within limits, does show that the pilot was not coping easily with the approach. It was a calm night, so there would have been little turbulence or drift to complicate the task, and a steadier track should normally be more achievable...
So WHY was he having difficulty maintaining a steady straight track?
Icing problems - airframe/antennae/engine? Or ALL 3? Plus a faulty LLZ signal?
Has the CHC LLZ been known to be subject to scalloping?

Again from poor old prospector, "If he became visual why then did they fly into the ground??"
Try putting ALL of the above suggestions together to try to realise that an accident is a CHAIN OF EVENTS. (Icing+erratic signals+flawed PAPI indication+++)!!
This message is driven home time and again, and which in my 15 1/2 thousand hours of flying I have come to realise makes no-one immune - even those with a lot less time

Again, back to the possibility of the LLZ signal and/or the PAPI being suspect, prospector states, "no body else had reported this as a problem on the night, not even the preceeding 737."
Were they ever asked, subsequently?
If not, why not?
If they were, then why wasn't that mentioned in the report?

NOTAMS - why is no mention made of any NOTAMS that were in effect that night?
As obscure as they may seem, they are a consideration for every flight.

"The reason for this thread is to surmise as to what took place in the mind of the pilot in the last few minutes of that flight." RUBBISH! And if that is what you believe, prospector, then you don't belong here, but would be more at home at some Tarot card or "mystics" meeting than on a professional pilots' forum.